There are few places as photogenic as Gausta. The area boasts dramatic mountains, powerful waterfalls, and idyllic valleys. This is why we’re letting you know our top 10 most Instagrammable spots so that you can make your next visit to Gausta even more magnificent. And don’t forget to tag your Instagram photos #gausta – so that we can see your favourite spots in Gausta.
Alight at the summit upper station of the Gaustabanen railway and continue your climb another 83 metres along the crest of the mountain until you reach the highest point – 1,883 metres above sea level. Keep your fingers crossed for good weather – on a clear day you can see a sixth of Norway from here!
Rent a canoe at Gaustablikk and enjoy the tranquility of Kvitåvatn – the lake right at the foot of the hotel. The peace and quiet of the water might even encourage you to leave your phone and everything else behind for a moment.
In Gausta in July? Then make sure you pay a visit to Rjukanfossen – the 104-metre-tall waterfall in Rjukan. During the Marispelet play at the end of July, the water is released to make for an unmissable piece of theatre.
4. A trip to the summit of Ørnenipa is a favourite among the locals, and we can understand why. From here you have a breathtaking view out towards Gaustatoppen, for example.
5. Take the Krossobanen railway up to the other side of the Vestfjord valley, and experience Gaustatoppen from another angle. Also great views of Rjukan and Vemork.
6. Skipsfjell arguably offers Gausta’s best views of Gaustatoppen and Rjukan.
7. If you’ve managed to get up to Gaustatoppen, don’t forget to take a picture from the stone parapet that protrudes from the western side of the mountain with the impressive Gausdalen national National park Park in the background.
9. Heading out to Hulderholda [A1] at Stavsro is an adventure in itself. The 15-metre-deep cave is perfect for dramatic mountain pictures.
10. Have we left out your favourite spot in Gausta? Share your Gausta gems using the #gausta hashtag on Instagram so that even more people can discover the magic of the mountain.